Delete enables you to remove unwanted records from any object in your CRM that supports the delete operation.
Delete is available in Free Edition and Elements Edition.
Common Use Cases:
- Remove incomplete or outdated accounts, contacts, and leads
- Undelete records from the recycle bin
Important things to remember:
- You must have the Record ID of the object you wish you to delete. This is the only data point you need for processing
- System automatically performs a cascading delete
- Soft deleted records placed in recycle bin
- Hard deleted records will bypass recycle bin*
- Undelete option allows restoration of records from the recycle bin
*Hard delete permission required
Starting a Delete Scenario
To begin a new scenario, select Delete from the left navigation bar.
To start from an existing scenario, select a Delete scenario from the Scenarios table on your Dashboard. Your source, object, and record selection criteria will already be set for you. You can keep all settings or change them as you go.
Step 1: Select Records
First, select an operation: Hard Delete, Soft Delete, or UnDelete.
- Soft Delete: Puts the records into your CRM recycling bin
- Hard Delete: Permanently deletes records from your CRM. *Important* - Hard deleted records can not be undeleted.
- UnDelete: Removes records from your CRM recycling bin.
Under the Salesforce Object dropdown menu that appears, select the object you want to search for records to delete. For example, select Account.
- For large jobs, check the box beside Bulk API. This option groups your records into larger batches, so it uses fewer API calls. Learn more about the Bulk API option.
In the Record Selection Criteria section, choose Add Selection Condition to narrow down the accounts included in your search. Learn more about Record Selection Criteria.
- In this example, set the Billing City to start with P.
Fields to Show on Preview is an optional menu that lets you select the fields shown on your results page in step 2. If you don't use this menu, your results will include the record ID only.
To move to step 2, choose Preview.
Step 2: Preview
In this step, you can review your records for deletion and deselect records you want to keep.
The Export Grid Data option lets you download your results before (or instead of) deleting records from your CRM.
To finish, select Delete [x] records. This action will commit changes to your CRM.
If you encounter an error during the delete process, you will see a banner like this:
To see which records encountered the error and what it is, you can reveal a hidden column called Error Message. To reveal this column:
Go to the preview grid and open any hamburger menu beside a column label. We'll open the one beside the ID label.
With this menu open, select the grid icon to the right of the hamburger icon.
Scroll to the bottom of the column list and find Error Message. Check the box beside this column label.
A new column will be added to the far right side of the preview grid. Here you can view the error messages sent to DemandTools by the target CRM. Only the rows that encountered an error will show an error message.
Because the target CRM provides the error messages, DemandTools does not maintain a comprehensive list of possible error. Contact your CRM if you have questions about an error you receive.
Saving Your Scenario
If you want to re-run or schedule this scenario again in the future, open the Scenarios bar slider and select Save As, then name your scenario and select Save.