Child Object Selection is an option within the Merge Options popup in the Dedupe module. This option gives you greater control over what child objects, also known as sub-objects or related objects, are merged into the winning record during deduplication.
Note: This option is available only for Salesforce orgs. When using Child Object Selection, please bear in mind:
- Customizing a merge with Child Object Selection on Account, Contact, or Lead objects will disable Salesforce Merge.
- Instead of 1 – 3 seconds per group merged when using Salesforce Merge, each group will take about 7 – 10 seconds to merge.
How Child Object Selection works
By default, Salesforce merges all child objects from non-winning parent records to the winning parent record, and so by default DemandTools also observes this behavior.
- If the object allows reparenting, the lookup field to the object being merged is updated to that of the winning record.
- Otherwise, the child object is cloned and inserted into the winning record.
Child Object Selection allows you to merge only the selected child objects for merging into the winning parent record. To use this feature:
- In step 3 of the Dedupe module, select Merge Options at top right to open the popup.
- Check the box beside Customize Merge. By default, Customize Merge is unchecked, which means all child objects are selected.
- Uncheck the boxes beside any child objects you do not want merged into the winning parent record in your Dedupe scenario.
- Select Save and Close.
Your selections are unique to each Dedupe scenario. To reuse your selections, save the scenario.