After making changes to existing data the updated cell(s) will be highlighted
- Hover over a highlighted cell(s) to show the original value
- To restore the original data, right click on a cell, group of cells, or entire column and select Revert to original value
- To show all rows where at least one value has been updated, select Show Changed Rows under Limit Records on the left
Note: Changes WILL NOT be posted to Salesforce for cell updates until one of the post options (Post Data or Post Data->Exit) is selected, or the row is manually updated by right clicking on a row header and selecting Update Rows.
The cell editing capabilities within PowerGrid are similar to updating records in an excel spreadsheet, including the ability to cut, copy and paste either by right-clicking on a particular cell or group of cells, or using CtrlX, CtrlC, CtrlV.
To directly edit data in a cell (field), either double-click in the cell or right click and select Edit or Clear.
- Double-Clicking simply allows directly typing in a new value
- Right-Clicking will provide various options for editing the cell contents
- Picklist & Multi-Select Picklist Fields
- Allows selecting from the current list of valid values
- To update to a value NOT in the the picklist, use the manual edit option (double-click to edit)
- Use the Edit Append option (for multi-select picklists) to add to the existing values vs. overwriting
- Text Area, Long Area Text Fields
- Use Edit Append or Edit Prepend to add to the existing data vs. overwriting
Edit Append: Will display for Text Area, Simple text edit, type in new value
Long Area Text, Multi-Select Picklist Fields and click Update Value
Edit Prepend: Will display for Text Area
and Long Area Text Fields
Picklist and Multi-Select Picklist fields Date and Date/Time fields
will show valid picklist values ONLY allows selecting from a calendar
Filter Data allows for filtering the list
for a particular test string
Note: When records have been limited by applying limiting conditions or filter criteria, and a group of cells have been highlighted for update, ONLY the data for the records shown in the grid will be updated (hidden cells WILL NOT be updated).
Updating Entire Columns
To update the contents of an entire column right-click on the column header, select Edit and select the new value, or Clear to clear all data.
Cut, Copy and Paste options are ONLY available on columns by using CtrlX, CtrlC, CtrlV (highlight all values in the column first) - these options ARE NOT available in the right-click menu for columns.
To manipulate multiple columns at one time select the first column, hold down shift and select additional columns, then right click anywhere in the selected data to access various manipulation options (i.e. clear, copy/cut/paste, revert to original, apply formulas etc.). Edit is not available for multiple columns.
Many pre-built formulas designed to address common data standardization needs are available.
- Simple, single field based formulas ONLY are available in PowerGrid
- The full list of available formulas is listed under Right Click Settings in the control options area on the left of the PowerGrid user interface
- Formulas can be applied to a single cell, group of cells, or entire columns by right clicking
- Users can check the specific formulas that they typically use for data normalization
- e.g. check State Match Short instead of State Match Long if the 2 digit state abbreviation is the standard for your organization
- ONLY checked formulas will show when right-clicking to apply
Example showing ONLY specific formulas selected
- Highlight the cell, group of cells or column
- Click column header to highlight the entire column
- Right-click and scroll down to select the desired formula
- The formula is applied as soon as it is selected
Reminder: Edits can be undone by right clicking on a changed cell and selecting Revert to original value. This can be done for ALL the updates, or for specific cells (e.g. a formula did not interpret input data as expected when applying the formula for a specific cell)
Click HERE for information on all of the PowerGrid Formulas.
Record Based Manipulation
In addition to field/cell updates, PowerGrid also has options to delete records of any type, convert leads, merge account/contact/lead records, and add leads or contacts to an existing campaign, and assign Contacts to a different Account. These additional options are accessible when right-clicking on the row heading for either a single row or groups of rows.
Note: All these actions (EXCEPT Mark for Deletion) will happen IMMEDIATELY, these actions DO NOT WAIT for the user to select the Post buttons on the left. A pop-up message will be displayed alerting the user of this, allowing the user the option to abort if desired.
Deleting Records: Right-Click on the row(s) to access the delete options
- Performs a standard cascading delete in Salesforce with the resulting record(s) placed in the Salesforce Recycle Bin
- Undeleting can be done via the Salesforce User Interface ONLY
1. Delete Record Now
- Available for a single record only
- IMMEDIATELY deletes the record from Salesforce
2. Mark/Unmark for deletion
- Available for single or multiple records
- Marks the record(s) for deletion with a red X and highlights the row data in red
- Deletions processed when one of the Post options is selected on the left
- Previously marked records can be unmarked (prior to posting) by right-clicking again and selecting Unmark for deletion
Sort or Limit the grid results FIRST to identify duplicates and group together
- NO MATCHING is done in PowerGrid, duplicates are user identified ONLY (i.e. by grouping/limiting)
- 2 to 8 Account, Contact or Lead records can be selected and merged into one
- ONLY Account/Contact/Lead records can be merged in PowerGrid
To merge other objects, more than 8 records in one group, apply customized matching, or multiple groups at once use the Single Table Dedupe module.
- Uses the Salesforce Merge Call to execute the merge
- Click on the fields that should be retained when the records are merged
- Selected fields will be highlighted in yellow
- Fields that remain red will NOT be retained
- By default:
- All data from text area and multi-select picklist fields will be highlighted and "True" values will be highlighted vs. "False" for boolean fields
- Populated data is kept vs. blanks
- ALL sub-objects are merged onto the "Master" record - noted at the top in green - selections effect field data only
- Populated fields grouped together, to reorder by field name click the "Field Name" column header
- Accept IMMEDIATELY merges the records. A pop-up will appear first allowing the user to abort the merge if desired
- NO restore files are created for merging
- Right-click on the row(s) to access the convert options
- Uses the Salesforce Conversion Call to perform the conversion
- NO restore files created for conversions (Contact/Account CANNOT be unconverted back to Leads)
- All sub-objects (e.g. campaigns, activities) on Leads will be re-linked to the converted Contact
- Custom objects ARE NOT re-linked to converted Contacts
- Information from the Lead is inserted only into blank fields; Salesforce does not overwrite existing Account and Contact data
1. Convert Leads: Each selected Lead will be converted to a NEW Account and a NEW Contact
- NO checking is done to see if a matching Contact or Account exists
- Single or multiple rows can be highlighted and converted at once
2. Convert to Existing Contact/Account: Selected Lead will be converted to a matching Contact or a NEW Contact will be created on an Existing Account
- Available when selecting a SINGLE row only
- Applies default search criteria to return a list of suggested matches
- Option to manually enter search Criteria
More information on converting leads can be found HERE.
Linking to a Campaign
Ability to create Campaign Member records on selected Contacts or Leads
- Available for Contacts and Leads Only
- Available for single or multiple records
- Right-click on the row(s) and select Add to Campaign
1. Campaign: Select from a list of ACTIVE Campaigns in Salesforce
2. Status: Select a status
3. OK: IMMEDIATELY creates the Campaign Member record(s)
- Assigning Contact(s) to a Different Account: Ability to move a Contact to a different Account WITHOUT having to know the Account ID
- Available for a single Contact or group of Contacts
- Ability to search for Accounts based on Name, City, State, and/or Website
- Right-click on the row(s) and select Assign to different Account
1. Enter search criteria for any or all of the following: Account Name, City, State, Website
- Multiple criteria is AND'd together
2. Select Search when ready to show suggested Accounts based on search criteria
3. Double-click on the Account Name (in red) to pull up the Account directly in the Salesforce User Interface to review before selecting
- Select the radio button to select an Account
4. Use Account IMMEDIATELY moves the Contact(s) to the selected Account
Note: Restore files ARE created for this operation that contain the old Account ID, so the update can be reversed in using the restore file and MassEffect if desired.