DupeBlocker 2.X can be upgraded to DupeBlocker 3.X without having to uninstall the previous version. Upgrading vs. uninstall/reinstall will keep customizations intact including updates to page layouts, DupeBlocker Settings, Scenario updates etc. Additionally, outstanding Warnings will not be deleted.
DupeBlocker 2 versions CANNOT be directly upgraded to DupeBlocker 3.10. Users will need to first install an interim DupeBlocker 2 release. The installation links are below:
Once installed, users should immediately upgrade to 3.10, as the interim version will not function. It is the gateway to installing 3.10.
Note: It is recommended that DupeBlocker keys be rebuilt after an upgrade to ensure that all changes have been implemented and keys have been updated accordingly. Rebuilding keys is not required unless instructed in release notes.
DupeBlocker can be downloaded directly from the AppExchange.
After selecting the button a prompt will be displayed asking whether the application should be installed in a production or sandbox environment. Follow the Salesforce prompts to select the appropriate environment, confirm the install location, then re-enter the Salesforce login credentials in the Salesforce login screen for that environment to begin the install.
After completing the upgrade, the DupeBlocker related list Scenario Target Filters will need to be manually added to the DupeBlocker Scenarios page layouts and updated to include the fields:
- Filtered Object
- Filtered Field
More details on how to do this can be found below.
Note: Users upgrading from DupeBlocker Version 2.18 or lower will need to follow the additional upgrade instructions noted at the end of this document.
Installing the Upgrade
The page header will indicate the current version that is installed and the version that it will be upgraded to. The page footer will note the details of the version being installed.
Note: The View Components and API Access buttons can be selected to show details regarding the Package Components that will be upgraded as well as the API access granted to this application for Salesforce Objects.
The following page will be displayed to start the upgrade process:
1. Install for Specific Profiles: Will default to Install for Admins Only. Change to Install for Specific profiles to ensure all users have the appropriate access to utilize the end-user features of DupeBlocker.
2. Set Access Level for all profiles to: Select Non-admin Users and click Set
- Existing profile customizations will not be affected. Any new components will be assigned the appropriate permissions for non-admins.
- Optionally, update the access level for specific non-admin profiles to DupeBlocker Administrator for profiles that should have full access to the DupeBlocker application including the ability to create/modify scenarios, monitor all warnings etc. to ensure these users have full access to any new components.
3. Click Upgrade
Completing the Upgrade
The following screen will be shown indicating the status of the upgrade:
Note: Typically a message is generated from Salesforce that the package is being upgraded, and that an email will be sent when complete.
Updating the DupeBlocker Scenarios Page Layouts
After completing the upgrade two changes will need to be made the Scenarios Page Layouts:
1. Add DupeBlocker Scenario Target Filter related list
- The related list DupeBlocker Scenario Target Filters will need to be manually added to BOTH page layouts for DupeBlocker Scenarios and updated to include the fields:
- Filtered Object
- Filtered Field
2. Add the Number of Words to the existing DupeBlocker Scenario Rules related list
To update the page layouts:
1. Go to Setup -> App Setup -> Create - > Objects -> DupeBlocker Scenario then scroll down to the Page Layout Section
2. Edit the DupeBlocker Scenario Admin Layout and add the related list DupeBlocker Scenario Target Fiters. This should be added AFTER the DupeBlocker Scenario Filters List:
3. Once added click the tool icon for the added list and add the fields Filtered Object, Filtered Field, Operator and Criteria.
4. Click the tool icon to update the existing DupeBlocker Scenario Rules related list and add the field Number of Words.
Repeat for the DupeBlocker Scenario End User Layout.
Note: The DupeBlocker Scenario Target Filter related list WILL ONLY be shown in Scenarios where "Enable Dual Filters" checkbox is selected in the Scenario Details.
Special Upgrade Instructions for Early Versions of DupeBlocker 2
Note: Starting in DupeBlocker 2.27.19, formula fields will no longer be included in auto-merge or auto-convert tasks by default. To include these in the task they need to be manually mapped with the “Include in Task” option checked.
Upgrading from DupeBlocker 2.18 or lower
1. Rebuilding Keys
The key building process changed in version 2.19 and higher. As a result the storage of keys was changed from the DupeBlocker Scenario Links table to the DupeBlocker Scenario Keys table. A "Rebuild All Keys" (button from within a Scenario) should always be done when upgrading to a newer version, but it is imperative that it be done when upgrading from DupeBlocker 2.18 or lower to DupeBlocker 3 so that all keys are now stored in the DupeBlocker Scenario Keys table.
After the rebuild is complete, users will need to manually export all records from the DupeBlocker Scenario Links (Deprecated) table then mass delete them as they are no longer used in DupeBlocker 3. The export/delete can be done using DemandTools MassEffect, Salesforce Data Loader or similar tool.
Note: This is only an issue when going from 2.18 or lower directly to 3.X as there was code in version 2.19 thru 2.27 to automatically perform the deletion, but that code was removed in DupeBlocker 3. Leaving the keys in the DupeBlocker Scenario Links (Deprecated) table will not have any negative impact on the use of DupeBlocker, but will use storage in the organization unnecessarily.
2. Updating DupeBlocker Tabs
The DupeBlocker Today and DupeBlocker Settings tabs have been converted from sControls to Visualforce pages. After upgrading, changes will need to be made to display the correct tabs in the DupeBlocker Application. The old tabs will say DupeBlocker Today (Deprecated) and DupeBlocker Settings (Deprecated). To correct this:
- Go to Setup->Create->Apps and click edit next to DupeBlocker
- Remove the “Deprecated” tabs from the list on the right, then add DupeBlocker Settings and DupeBlocker Today
- Reorder the tabs as follows:
- DupeBlocker Today
- DupeBlocker Scenario
- DupeBlocker Warning
- DupeBlocker Setting
- Check the overwrite user customizations box and make sure all DupeBlocker Administrator profiles (any profiles, including System Administrator, that had also been set up as a DupeBlocker Administrator) are checked at the bottom as “visible” then click save.
3. Adding Visualforce Pages to User Profiles
Please make sure that all user profiles have access to the Visualforce pages (at the bottom of the profile settings) shown below.
Non-Admin Profiles should look like this after the new pages have been added:
Any DupeBlocker Administrator profiles should have access to all DupeBlocker Visualforce pages (full System Administrator profiles will already have the new profiles added). Not updating the profiles with access to these pages will result in "Insufficient Privileges" message when the user attempts to merge/convert duplicates, or when an attempt is made to Redirect to Existing record per the Match on Insert Action:
Additional Upgrade Instructions if Using Person Accounts (upgrading from 2.19 or lower)
1. Add the new "Person Account Scenario" checkbox field to the DupeBlocker Scenario Page Layouts
- To do this go to Create -> Objects -> DupeBlocker Scenario and scroll down to the Page Layouts section and click edit next to the Admin Layout
- Drag the "Person Account Scenario" field to the DupeBlocker Scenario Detail Section
- Save the changes and repeat for the End User Layout
2. For every Person Account scenario (all Account and Lead to Account scenarios with a "isPersonAccount = true" filter), check the "Person Account Scenario" box for that scenario and save them
3. Remove all "isPersonAccount" filters from all Account and Lead to Account scenarios, the new checkbox in the scenario detail section replaces this filter completely. Note: DO NOT remove the "Lead Company equals null" filters for Lead to Account scenarios
4. Rebuild DupeBlocker keys for all Account and Lead to Account scenarios
More information regarding customizing DupeBlocker to work with Person Accounts can be found HERE .