Scenarios define the matching criteria for detecting duplicates and what actions should be taken when duplicates are detected. Multiple scenarios can be defined for the same object. Best practice is to define a series of scenarios to detect duplicates and act on the duplicate records in different ways depending on how rigid the matching criteria. Different actions can be taken for inserts vs. updates.
Duplicates to Accounts, Contacts, Leads as well as ANY other object can be detected and merged including custom objects. Cross object deduping is available for Lead to Contact and Lead to Account.
When duplicates are detected they can be:
- Blocked with an error message
- Blocked with a redirect to the matching record
- Reported: Allowed to be inserted with a DupeBlocker Warning record created
- Warnings will list the matching records
- A Salesforce task can be created to alert the scenario owner, current user, or both that a warning was created
- Warnings should be reviewed
- If the records are confirmed as duplicates they can be merged or converted directly in DupeBlocker
- If it is deemed the records are not duplicates, the warning should be deleted
- Auto-Merged or Auto-Converted (Lead to Account or Lead to Contacts matches)
- Redirected to custom apex code or a custom visualforce page
- Note: These options are designed for users that have Apex Code experience, as creating/customizing Visualforce pages and Apex Code is required.
Lead to Contact and Lead to Account Scenarios will work in either direction, HOWEVER, by default, blocking options ("Do Not Insert"/"Do Not Update" and "Redirect to Existing") ONLY trigger when a Lead is inserted/updated. Warnings are created in place of a block when a Contact or Account is inserted/updated that matches an existing Lead. Scenarios have an option, Block Account/Contact Matches, to allow blocking in both directions.
"Auto-Convert" ONLY triggers when a Lead is being inserted. Warnings will be created in place of a conversion when a Contact or Account is inserted/updated that matches an existing Lead.
Although DupeBlocker is 100% customizable, there are default scenarios that ship with the application. These should be reviewed, updated and deployed as needed. New scenarios can also be created to suit your organizations needs. In order to use DupeBlocker with non-standard objects (e.g. Opportunities, custom objects etc.), the objects will first need to be enabled in DupeBlocker Settings.
- More information on Default Scenarios can be found HERE.
- More information on enabling objects can be found HERE.
Scenarios can be customized to include filters to limit when they will be triggered. Filters can be based on specific fields within the object itself, or based on the attributes of the current Salesforce user who is inserting or updating a record. Dual Filters can be created to specify which new/updated records should be matched with which existing records.
Lead, Lead to Contact and Lead to Account scenarios will work with Web to Lead inserts also, not just Leads entered directly through the Salesforce user interface. However, Leads are NEVER blocked completely in this case, warnings are always generated instead.
- More information on Web to Lead processing can be found in HERE.
Note: Scenarios need to be customized to work with Person Accounts to include DupeBlocker Scenario Filters and special matching criteria applies. More information on customizing Scenarios to correctly detect Person Account duplicates can be found HERE.
There are 4 components to Scenarios: Detail, Rules, Filters and Warnings.
DupeBlocker Scenario Detail: Provides general settings for the particular scenario and DupeBlocker Statistics.
More information on Scenario Details can be found HERE.
DupeBlocker Scenario Rules: Defines the matching algorithm.
More information on Scenario Rules can be found HERE.
DupeBlocker Scenario Filters: Define criteria as to when scenarios should be triggered based on attributes of the object or current user.
More information on Scenario Filters can be found HERE.
DupeBlocker Scenario Warnings: Lists all active warnings for potential duplicates detected by this scenario.
More information on Warnings can be found HERE.